As a believer in Jesus Christ, I would like to invite you to examine God's Word, the Bible, along with me. Even if you are not certain if God exists or that the Bible is true, I hope you will open your heart and mind to the possibility that you need to know Jesus and consider accepting God's Free Gift of Eternal Life.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Biblical Financial Principle #8 - Give God Your First And Your Best

Give your first and your best back to God:

Many people have developed the habit of giving their leftovers to God. The Bible is very clear that God desires our first and our best. This is in keeping with the Matthew 6:33 concept of putting God first in everything we think, say and do.

Proverbs 3:9 - Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops;

Exodus 23:19a - Bring the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the house of the Lord your God.

Deut. 26:10 - …and now I bring the firstfruits of the soil that you, O Lord, have given me." Place the basket before the Lord your God and bow down before him.

Lev. 22:21 - When anyone brings from the herd or flock a fellowship offering to the Lord to fulfill a special vow or as a freewill offering, it must be without defect or blemish to be acceptable.

When King David wanted to obtain some land for a location for the Temple the owner of the property offered to give it to him. David responded: "I will not sacrifice to the Lord my God burnt offerings that cost me nothing." (2 Sam. 24:24) David wanted the best for God. He would not give God his leftovers. He would not give God something that did not require a sacrifice on his part. We need to follow David's example.

About Me

My photo
Cypress, CA, United States
I am a U.S Navy Veteran, a Bible student and I work in the maritime industry. I attempt to represent Jesus Christ accurately on this site. My blogs are not the "official" position of any church or ministry.